Thursday, June 2, 2011

Welcome Back!

Welcome back Cameron!! After a loooong 11 months I got the call- "Your soldier will be on the next flight". Wohoo! The Welcome Home ceremonies were really exciting places to be. The excitement was palpable and friends and families were all practically hovering with anticipation. The other wives came even if their soldiers were on different flights to partake in the excitement, offer support, and to be photographers. First, everyone arrives early to get a good spot (after working "strategy" with friends we had a spot picked out I emailed to Cameron), then talk about how excited they are for about 30 minutes. The basketball shot clock counted down 20 seconds, and when the buzzer went off the soldiers came marching into the gym to "The Boys are Back in Town". There was also a smoke machine, which was cool but wasn't- my eyesight is bad and the smoke mixed with everyone wearing the same uniform, it was hard to pick out Cameron. The National Anthem was then played, and a little speech was given before the soldiers got the command that they were released. Cameron is in the back of this photo. My friend (and paparazzo) Andrea actually spotted him marching in, and Cameron spotted us. Andrea pointed him out during the formation, and I could see his head poking out to the side of the rows looking at us, then a big smile cross his face when I waved. This is me trying really hard to find Cameron in the sea of camouflage. I should have brought binoculars!
After the formation broke up I lost my visual- good thing Andrea was more composed (her husband came back two days before) because she saw where Cameron went and captured our "moment".
Cameron is enjoying being back and spends a lot of time inhaling deeply the fresh air, and saying things like, "Germany/beer/(fill in the blank) is so awesome". We hope to see you all soon, post with pictures from our weekend in Rome coming next!

No comments: