Tuesday, October 14, 2008

London

This past weekend I took my first trip on a budget European airline and went to visit my BC senior year roommate Jessie. She studied at Oxford for a year and is now working in London and living with her English boyfriend. I haven't seen her since graduation, so it was fantastic to be able to spend my four day weekend with her, as well as visit London for the first time. Unfortunately Cameron had to work so I made the trek solo (but we were able to spend more time shopping since he wasn't there). 
It was great to be around people speaking English, although I have to admit I had a hard time understanding some people if they spoke quickly. I was most flattered when people stopped me to ask for directions- in Germany they look at me and assume (correctly) that I don't speak the language (still learning, its slow going). I did not notice too many changes going on for the 2012 Olympics, mainly just updates/beautifying of the underground/tube stations, which were already very efficient. Boston needs to take notes- the T is brutal. 
This is a picture taken from outside the walls of the Tower of London (where I got a student discount, yay!). I took this picture because there was what looked like laundry hung on a line fluttering inside one of the walls. I guess the Beefeaters need to wash their undergarments too?
Another view of the Tower of London complex. There were also catapults set up on the surrounding lawn. 
This is the "traitors gate". Supposedly traitors would be brought through this gate from their cells in the towers on their way to be beheaded. 
I am convinced he was asleep standing up. You can't see their eyes under the furry hats, I wonder how well he could see me. He also had freakishly large feet- part of the uniform or just a coincidence?
A friendly reminder to not get run over by a crazy London driver!
This is how we are going to display our 
future gun/bayonet collection. There was another section that was a wall holding over 1,000 rifles layered on top of one another for easy access!
Tower of London bridge from the London Bridge. The London Bridge is very plain looking, I actually crossed it by accident when I got a little lost...
What are humped pelicans?
Crossing the Tower of London Bridge. It is amazing to think how difficult it must have been to build this with the limited equipment they had back in the day.
Parliament
Big Ben... When I stepped out of the tube station I was looking around for Big Ben and didn't see it, until I realized how far up you have to look to see it. Fun fact courtesy of Jessie- Big Ben is actually the name of the main bell inside the clock, not the actual clock.
The London Eye. I did not go on it, but it might be on the list for my next visit. I haven't decided yet if 40 minutes 440 ft in the sky will be too much for me.
The Eye at night. We had a cocktail hour on a docked boat with great views of this and Parliament light up at night. 
Big Ben at night. Its not a great picture, but notice the statue of a golden eagle in the foreground. Look familiar Boston College fans?
Last but definitely not least, did you think I would go to London and not visit Platform 9 and 3/4?? I'm actually updating my blog from the Hogwarts Express, not Amberg (and staying away from the Every Flavor Beans). 
Cheers!

No comments: